Evolution mail – Adding (tiny) picture to e-mail headers
In the Evolution e-mail client (and groupware) application, there is a plugin called “Face” (or “Portrait”) in French. Sadly, it doesn’t give much detail, except that it’s used to display a small face of the e-mail sender, if you make a 48×48 PNG portrait and encode it to base64.
I found the documentation particularly bad, so here is mine:
- make a 48×48 pixels portrait of your face and save it as PNG
- you have to reduce it to less than 720 bytes (yes, bytes), so:
- open it with Gimp
- change mode: Image -> Mode -> Indexed colors
- use less than 15 colors (otherwise the picture will take too much space)
- save the file again, not using Adam7, not recording resolution and not recording any info
Once you managed to reduce it to the right size, open a new e-mail composer and select “Insert -> Face” then pick your picture up. Send the e-mail. There you go…
Apparently you have to “insert face” each time you want to do that. There must be an option somewhere to attach it everytime but I couldn’t find it this time.