iCal exports for course and personal events
A customer recently hired us to develop an iCal export for the Dokeos agenda tool. I first thought it would be a quickie, but analysing the related iCal RFC, I must say it suddendly looks much more impressive.
Looking around a bit, I realised that
- PEAR and PECL don’t offer any class that allow for full iCal manipulation
- WebCalendar had a crappy code structure (nothing making it practical to integrate into Dokeos for simple import/export functionalities)
- phpicalendar didn’t offer an export feature (just reading and parsing)
- iCalcreator is a one class package that allows for iCal, vCal, vEvent, vAlarm, … import *and* export, making it ideal to include into Dokeos
Once the iCalcreator class has been included, the remaining work consists of
- creating a script that exports a given event, using the class
- adding a link to each event
These three icons, located next to any calendar event, represent the three privacy levels “Confidential”,”Private” and “Public” you can get with iCal (but that you don’t have in Dokeos). Clicking one of the icons should prompt you for an iCal file download.
I guess it’s not even worth mentioning I’m not very good at graphical design…